That’s Weird: cherry pancake filled avocados1. Juni 2015
Cherry pancake filled avocados
Welcome to round 2 of That’s weird. Last week we had beetroot, chocolate and raspberry crumble, this week it’s all about bringing the sweet side of avocado into the limelight. In Europe, the traditional way of eating avocado is savoury. As Adriana from our marketing team said: „I eat it with lime with garlic… not sweet like this“. Well put Adriana.
But in other parts of the world like Sri Lanka and the Philippines, people eat avocado mashed up with sugar and milk. Believe me. It tastes heavenly. Check it out:
So let’s delve once again into the world of weird flavour combinations. Inspired by the trend of Eggacado (baking eggs inside an avocado like this) I cooked up this crazy dish. How about taking a ripe avocado, removing the stone and pouring in some delicious cherry pancake batter. Then just pop it in the oven for 10-15 minutes and KABOOM… you have yourself a weird and wonderful treat. Make sure you sprinkle on that icing sugar, because this is very much a case of „the sweeter the better“.
As promised, here are the initial reactions to this recipe from some of my team members:
I think it’s too fatty – and it’s not interwoven enough. There is like a pancake crater within an avocado landscape… not sure.
– Karl from Marketing
Beautiful colours! Hopefully it tastes as good as it looks
– Jenna from Online Marketing
Never had an avocado pancake of any kind? whaaat? I suggest you try!
- 2 avocados, nicely soft and ripened
- 1 handful of cherries, pitted and sliced
- 1 large egg
- 40g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 45ml milk
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius
- Cut the avocados in half and deseed them
- Mix together the egg, flour, baking powder, milk, vanilla, sugar and salt in a bowl until there are not lumps
- Add the cherries into the mixture
- Using a teaspoon, spoon the mixture into each of the four avocado halves
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes
- Sprinkle with LOTS of icing sugar.
- Eat without freaking out too much!
Let me know if you try this. I love hearing people’s reactions!